Twenty under twenty. Thirty under thirty. Forty under forty. There’s no shortage of lists for people under a certain age who make significant contributions in their communities. It’s time to recognize that possibilities shouldn’t be limited by age. It’s time to change the stories we tell ourselves about aging. It’s time for a new list.
During Black History Month, we will present a 50 Over 50 list to recognize and celebrate their courageous, compassionate, and selfless acts of service. Our listeners will nominate and choose notable individuals over the age of 50 who give their all as they care for others, reimagine their careers and businesses, and provide hope to our communities. They don’t adhere to the belief that our capacity to blaze a trail or shake things up diminishes as we age. They’re living life on their terms and improving the lives of others all at the same time.
Categories For Nomination:
- Faith & Family
- Arts & Entertainment
Nominees from each of the five categories are judged on what they’ve done to lead and inspire others, make an impact on their community, and show value through their actions.
Nominees must meet the following requirements:
- The nominee must be at least 50 years old when nominations close.
- The actions on which the nomination is based must have an impact on at least one community in Northwest Louisiana.
- The recipient must live in Northwest Louisiana.
- This is not a posthumous award.
- You cannot nominate yourself.
- Couples or business partners will be counted as a singular nomination.
The final list of 50 Over 50 honorees is determined by the KOKA Nation Executive Committee comprised of listeners and supporters of KOKA Radio Station. Two Executive Committee members each review nominations within each category.
The nomination period will be open until 11:59 PM on Tuesday, December 21, 2021. Alpha Media will conduct an initial review of nominations and submit a robust list of nominees to the Executive Committee to ensure the integrity of the process and company. However, they will make the final determination of which seven nominees in each category are chosen. One person will be selected at the 50 Over 50 event as the person of the year.
- Avoid generalizations. Be specific.
- Tell a story that distinguishes your nominee from other accomplished leaders in Northwest Louisiana.
- Provide concrete details about your nominee’s impact.
- Give specific examples about how your nominee makes a positive impact on people’s lives.
- Give specific examples about how your nominee’s contributions make the community better or different.