Taco Tuesday and Back to School
The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army’s victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.
It is not to be confused with Mexico’s Independence Day.
In the US, Cinco de Mayo is seen as a day to celebrate the culture, achievements, and experiences of people with Mexican background, who live in the United States It is believed that the origins of Cinco de Mayo celebrations lie in the responses of Mexicans living in California in the 1860s to French rule in Mexico at that time.
- MUSIC: Search for virtual Cinco de Mayo celebrations for authentic music
- FOOD: For kids: Create Mexican Pizza and dessert at home
- 1 cup refried beans
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced finely
- 2/3 c. shredded cheese
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/3 c. enchilada sauce
- 4 whole tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a hot skillet or griddle with cooking spray and ‘fry’ the tortillas, frequently flipping so they don’t burn. You want them to get nice and crispy. Remove fried tortillas to a plate.
- Heat the refried beans, so they are warm. Place 2 tortillas on a baking sheet. Spread 1/2 cup of refried beans onto each tortilla. Place remaining tortillas on top of beans.
- Pour half of the enchilada sauce on top of each tortilla and spread it around.
- Add half of the chopped tomato on top of the sauce. Add 1/3 cup of cheese on top of each tortilla. Add half of the green onions on top of the cheese.
- Place in oven and cook about 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy!
- Dessert: Cinco de Mayo Strawberries – Easy and eye-catching, the kids can help you turn strawberries into the Mexican flag. Dip the red treats into melted white candy and top with green sprinkles. Enjoy!
- Decorate: Make Paper Bag Pinata A celebration isn’t a true Mexican celebration without a piñata
- Easy Paper Bag Piñatas
- The time needed: 20-30 minutes
- Materials: Paper bags, tissue paper, glue, string, scissors, piñata filling (candy, peanuts, small toys, etc.).
- Fill in their regular brown paper bags and decorate them with tissue paper. Have them glue on fringes and streamers made from different colors of tissue paper. Add a little string to hang them up, and you can bust them open in class or allow kids to take them home and make the mess there!
- RELAX Hold de Mayo – In house Dinner Theater
Hang the pinatas, decorate the table with bright décor,
Pick a movie, pull out the blankets, and enjoy time with the family indoors or out.