While utility companies and law enforcement agencies have restored water in some areas in ArkLaTex after a week of extreme winter weather wreaked havoc on local water systems, many people are still waiting and under boil advisories.
During his briefing Saturday in Shreveport, Gov. John Bel Edwards said those who need water and assistance should contact their local Office of Emergency Preparedness for information on resources available in their area.
In the meantime, here is a list of places distributing water in the region for Tuesday, Feb. 23:
- Bienville Parish – Bienville Parish OHSEP is working with the Louisiana National Guard on getting drinking water there. However, they are still in the planning stages and working on getting the water. People looking for information can check the Bienville Parish Police Jury Facebook page, call the Police Jury office line at 318-263-2019, or check their website.
- Bossier Parish: Bossier Parish residents will be able to pick up bottled water at various sites while supplies last. Residents in these areas can pick up water at the town of Benton, the town of Plain Dealing, and Haughton’s town. Also, water will be available at the North East Fire District, the East 80 Fire District #1, and South Bossier Fire District #2 until supplies are exhausted. In Bossier City, bottled water will be distributed from 7 a.m. while supplies last. The distribution will be at the Bossier Civic Center, 620 Benton Rd. Residents will be limited to one case of water.
- Caddo Parish – Caddo Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness, city and parish governmental agencies will distribute water in Shreveport and Caddo Parish on Wednesday, Feb. 24, at the following locations. All locations will open at noon, except for Southern University in Shreveport, which opens at 1 p.m. Each vehicle will receive one case of water while supplies last.
- Youree Drive Middle School (enter from Carroll Street)
- Southern Hills Elementary School (enter from Kingston Road)
- C.E. Byrd High School (enter from Gladstone Boulevard)
- Huntington High School (enter from Rasberry Lane)
- Independence Stadium/State Fairgrounds (enter from Greenwood Avenue)
- Parish distribution sites:
- North Blanchard Compactor – 7340 LA Hwy. 1
- North Lakeshore Compactor – 5581 N. Lakeshore Dr.
- Hosston Compactor – 15104 Oak St.
- Vivian Public Works Camp – 108 Finley Dr.
- Springridge Public Works Camp – 11928 Greenwood-Springridge Rd.
- Southern University at Shreveport, 3050 Martin Luther King, Jr., Drive *starts at 12 p.m.
- Other distribution sites in Shreveport Tuesday (and expected to continue Wednesday):
- Krystalized Kulture – 12 p.m. until supplies run out
5104 Mansfield Rd.
- The African American Celebration Committee, the Northwest Louisiana Community Development, and other organizations will unite to sponsor a free bottled water drive Wednesday, February 24, from 2:00 p.m. until the water is gone at:
Praise Temple Parking Lot
4725 Greenwood Road, Shreveport, LA
Each car will be given a case of water.
- Blanchard: Blanchard Town Hall, 110 Main Street – distribution until 6 p.m. Tuesday. More water is expected to arrive for distribution Wednesday.
- Greenwood: UPDATED 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 23: The Mayor of Greenwood has secured resources through the Louisiana National Guard that include portable washing machines, portable showers, and several pallets of drinking water.
The distribution will begin on February 24 (Wednesday) at 5 am at Open Range Fellowship Cowboy Church. 9950 Highway 80 in Greenwood, LA.
Limit one (1) case of water per vehicle while supplies last.
The National Guard will be on site for traffic control daily from 5 am to 10 pm until water usage is restored. Residents will be able to access resources during those hours.
Those using the portable washing machines and showers will need to bring the following supplies: Shampoo, conditioner, laundry detergent, flip-flops, towels.
*limit on laundry = 1 load per household per day
- DeSoto Parish: As Director of Homeland Security of DeSoto Parish, Sheriff Richardson has set up two National Guard sites within De Soto parish for water distribution. Beginning Tuesday from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, the Louisiana National Guard will be giving out water to citizens in need. Once again, supplies are limited and are meant for those who are most in need at this time. These sites will be located at:
- Dave Means Building
10117 Highway 171
Grand Cane, Louisiana 71032
- Stonewall Government Plaza
1746 Highway 171
Stonewall, LA. 71078
- Webster Parish – The parish is currently not providing any water assistance. They have requested some bottled water, but it has not arrived yet, and they are not sure when it will. If officials do provide any bottled water assistance, they will let the public know. Anyone needing assistance can call OHSEP Dir. Brian Williams at 318-371-1128 and leave a message with the type of assistance needed.
- Natchitoches Parish – At the request of Natchitoches Parish President John Richmond, the bottled water has been delivered to parish fire districts as distribution points for the public. Natchitoches Parish Fire Dist. 6 was distributed from a water pallet at the Oak Grove Fire Station early Sunday. Anyone who needs bottled water is asked to contact the parish fire district chief in the area they live. Bottled water is also being sold at businesses in the City and the Parish of Natchitoches.
- Marshall, TX: The City of Marshall distributed bottled water to Marshall families impacted customers of the city’s water system on Tuesday at the Marshall Convention Center at 2501 East End Boulevard South. As of Tuesday evening, there was no word on whether the distribution would continue Wednesday.
The City of Marshall remains under a city-wide Boil Water Notice as a precautionary measure per the State of Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). Citizens should continue to boil water vigorously for two minutes before consumption or use it for cooking. Citizens who have water are asked to exercise conservation and refrain from all activities that require large amounts of water.
Water distributions will be updated on this story as more information becomes available if anyone knows of other places where water distribution is happening, email [email protected].